Friday 17 April 2015

How To Do A Project


This week I just completed my requirements for my final school project and there were a lot of interesting  experiences during the period of the project. If I had to go back and do it all over again there are a number of things that I would probably do differently. I guess that's why I was really inspired to write this post on how to execute a project.

Option 1
This method involves actually taking the project seriously. With this option you do all the required research, follow up with your supervisor then you give him feedback of the work you've actually done. In my department your  project isn't just research based so you have to implement the system you research about and since this is the  option we have decide to go with you have to develop the system in you project. In summary with this option you would have to stress yourself till points where you just pass out.




Eventually you do a fine job that you and your supervisor would be proud of and eventually be happy about. I don't like this option joor it too straight forward and boring, there are really no risks involved I advice against it.

Option 2
You take the project serious-ish i guess. You make an attempt but never really do much but make it seem like you're doing stuff and you don't stop there you convince your supervisor you're doing stuff for as long as possible.

In other words you just flex until the last couple of weeks when the project is almost due after series of disappointment you've brought to your supervisor. Then you work under pressure (i mean its the Logical thing to do) and just rush the project leading you to do a better job than the the guy that executes option 1 (I know right, you wish). The adrenaline rush is very much I mean I know a guy that completed his project 1 hour to defense (no now, not me) by making a 2 hour Skype call to a pro programmer that helped him complete the project.

Option 3
As the cash money guy you are just contract the project from the beginning. ("I will show you the money..." *Singing*)


Lessons Learnt and general things to know about projects.
  • School final year project are overrated. (at least mine was).
  • Do not be frightened.
  • Start Early.
  • You can achieve a lot in a week.
  • Be prepared to answer the most basic questions.
  • Its an unwritten rule but you just have to take pictures afterwards.
  • If you work with your supervisor he has no option but to score you well.
  • There is always one bastard on the panel that you always face (HOPE that its not very serious about taking you down)
  • If you make a robot or a sensor activated car successfully you're probably going to do well.



Have you had a different experience with a project or projects? I would like to know. 
So please comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment