Monday 20 October 2014

My Week With The Dean

So last week i had to suffer punishment laid out by the dean for doing absolutely nothing. The thing is the Dean came to my hall last week in the middle of the night to look for a student and guys acknowledged his presence by throwing a plastic pack and as i later heard a piece of bread at him and booing him as he attempted to leave. The dean seemed ready to overlook the fact that projectiles were aimed at him since he dodged them like the agents from Matrix but he just couldn't take the loud boos he got from the guys so he decided to come back in and pack as many students as he could and blame the incident on them. You see my room is by the balcony and that's where the students gathered to boo and hurl projectiles at him so he decided to judge all members of my room as guilty. So for a five days or so some unlucky sons of Eve and I had to join the crop of students the good dean had pick to torment for either committing actual offenses or getting caught in a compromising situation that is no way contrary to the rules, but as the dean made clear to us, impressions are more important than the truth. So for five days i was posted in a group that had to tell students passing by to remember to stick to the rules or correct those actually breaking it after-which we would report to a conference room wait for an hour then get lectured by the good dean.

After the duration of the punishment was over the dean requested we send him a one page report so to speak, about our experience and what we got out of it and this is what i sent:


"

On Sunday the 12th of October I started the punishment given to me by the Dean of Student Affairs for committing no crime but well some people needed to be blamed for the Daniel hall incident I guess, guilty or not. Every day from the 12th to the 16th I had to be at the Lecture Theatre from 6pm – 9:30pm, after which I would proceed to the CDS conference room to hear a lecture from the good dean which had me returning to my hall anytime between 11pm and 12am. This week would have been really stressful for me albeit I didn’t have the punishment because all my lecturers decided to have their tests this week, in all I had 10 tests and most of the time I scheduled to read was used in serving a punishment I did not deserve but I have decided not to write about the negatives, if I do that I would use way more than one page, this report of sorts is about the positive things I got or at least an effort to view the experience as the proverbial cloud with a silver lining.

During the duration of my punishment I preached the CU gospel as the dean so eloquently put it to several people, some in a bid to get their signature for my notebook and others at my duty post, many of which sympathized with me for being unduly punished. The experience was boring for the most part but I got to meet several interesting people who were serving the punishment with me. The most interesting part of the whole experience without a doubt was listening to the dean speak, the things he spoke about and the way he spoke about those things showed a good degree of research and thinking had gone into his words though I was too tired and frustrated to think about most of the things he spoke about right away but later at random moments it played back in my mind. To a certain level I understand where he’s coming from and why he does some things he does, emphasis on the “some”, he is a smart man so he thinks about every move he makes before making it and that has brought me to understand the institution a little better, from his many words I could pick out the importance he places on discipline and integrity and that admirable but he has a very singular mind-set, he thinks along a certain line and believes other opinions or perspectives on the matter are non-valid, maybe the fact that he thinks along one absolute path strengthens his resolve.

All in all if there was a positive part of the experience it would be what I was able to get from hearing the dean speak about his reasons for his actions and I’m sure most people I shared the experience with also look at him a little differently. The dean emphasis on the importance and absolute of rules puzzled me, most great people broke certain rules and lived their lives differently even before they had the influence to make people consider the sense in their actions and we were even thought something similar in EDS and TMC, so which is it, be a dogged follower of rules laid out by others, or dare to break the rules and change the norm. Anyways from now on I try my best not to be caught committing any offense.
"

Don't know why i bother asking anymore since no one ever drops anything but oh well, thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Sir dean(sardine) sir, sleep in your room no you won't just be gallivanting around.... Good for you sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao...you did't submit this tho...I refuse to believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was the dean I would triple your punishment....LOOOL

    ReplyDelete