Saturday 26 April 2014

Every Second Counts




During the week I attended the burial of my uncle’s wife who died during the Nyanya bomb incident. At first I didn’t want to go cuz I really didn’t know her or her family that well, in fact I only had one memory of meeting her which was at the beginning of this year when she came over with her husband, but after my cousin and a friend told me to I changed my mind. When I first got the news I didn’t know how to feel, I knew I was supposed to feel sad but at that moment I questioned my own emotions, was I feeling sad because I was actually sad or just because that was what was expected of me. As I drove to work that day I pondered on the uncertainty of life, there’s no way she could have seen it coming, she was just on her way to work and without warning of any sort her life came to an end. While thinking I imagined a truck crushing my car or a crazy driver hitting me from the side and I thought to myself, I could die this very moment, a second is all it would take and nothing would change besides the fact that my life ended, the few people who cared would mourn for a short while and move on but nothing else would have changed besides the fact that I was dead.

I had pondered on that before but never had it seemed so real, probably cuz that’s what happened to that woman it no longer seemed like a far off thought, it could happen and what could I say I did with my time. So I have decided to live every day to the fullest I possibly can, I’ll try to put a smile on someone’s face, do something new and exciting, take in the joy and wonder of being alive and worry less about the future that I might not see, as Kpam would say, life is a definitely maybe. Maybe you’ll see tomorrow, maybe you’ll pass that exam, maybe you’ll be rich, maybe you’ll be a star, maybe your wife will be hot, but one thing's for sure, in this moment you’re alive so make the best of it. Every second counts.

4 comments: